Sunday, August 28, 2011

Memories of Moms and Grandmas

I also wanted to share what my Mom and I read at my Grandma's Memorial Service in June so that it won't be lost..


Our Memories

As I write these memories, the lines blur between memories of my Grandma with family memories of moms and daughters.
I can see Grandma Irene offering my daughter Lucy a toy with a sweet intensity. For that moment they are lost in each others eyes. The kind smile she offers her great-grandaughter is one that has been shared with me and my cousins, as well as her own daughters and son.

Katy: I remember being 4 or 5 years old and licking the beaters offered by mom own mom as she recalls memories from her childhood.

Margie: I can still remember licking the spoon to taste the batter of Mom's Mazola cake, our first cake with oil rather than shortening.

Both: We remember dipping the bottom of a glass into sugar to press dough balls into cookies. And flouring the table to roll and cut Mom's sugar cookies.

Both: And your memories are mine, and mine are yours until they become our memories

Margie: I remember standing on a picnic table with Mom, as we listened to Roy Orbison at Summerfest. And our excitement of flying to New York City together to see Dione Warwick.

Both: We remember visiting the Polish craft booths and sampling foods together at folk fair.

Both: And your memories are my memories and mine are yours until they become ours

Katy: I remember counting deer out the window on our way to the Wisconsin Dells with Grandpa and Grandma.

Margie: I remember the long car ride to and hot summer of Hayward, Wisconsin with my family.

Margie: Do you remember having our Easter baskets and Easter meal blessed on Holy Saturday?

Both: Do you remember Grandma's pudding cake, and her Lamb Cake, and singing Happy Birthday to Jesus?

Both: And your memories are mine and mine are yours until they become ours

Katy: I remember magical moments in Grandma's piano room, surrounded by cousins and plants. I remember pricking my finger on Grandma's cactus that looked soft and fuzzy. And of sitting at the piano learning to sing a Christmas carol in Polish.

Margie: I remember how Mom sewed many of our clothes. I remember the soft velvet top and satin bottom of the special Christmas dresses she made for us.

Both: Through her hands, her heart, and her prayers Grandma/ Mom showed us her love.

Margie: Thank you Mom for bringing us an appreciation for the small things in life:
Reading a good book, playing a game of Yatzee, and enjoying Quality Fairy Food.

Katy: Thank you for a lifetime of memories. We love you and will miss you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment