Thursday, June 9, 2011

Initiation into... Kids Parties?!

Well those "winter" runny noses which lead to booger covered boobs, have not yet resolved. I had to rip off a black shirt Sunday as we were heading out the door to a 5 year old's birthday party when I happened to notice a decorative "sash" of mucus...

But never fear, the party offered plenty of other opportunities for embarrassment. The most mortifying of my initiation into classmate birthday parties came when it was time to open gifts. Thus far, our parties have involved close friends and families, along with relaxed expectations. This was our first "schoolmate" party and I anticipated our gift of a toy motorcycle would be appropriate.

As gift after gift was opened, my heart sunk. These first several gifts.. were from just one child and included an expensive lego set! I felt like I was back in grade school myself, dreading my turn and hoping it didn't come immediately after anything too extravagant. Well, the little guy beamed at the motorcycle, so all was well. I had to keep reminding myself that the fun the kids were having was the best gift of all. And keep reminding myself.

I lingered in the background of the party chasing my toddler who was taking her new walking legs for quite a spin. As the party wore on, so did L.'s lack of afternoon nap! I had the joy of all eyes on me as she burst into wailing and angry shrieks... all for trying to put her empty juice box in the trash.

Something more subtle is the pressure to measure up to this wonderful party that included bounce houses, cake, ice cream, treat bags... The icing on the cake was the fact that my boy was perhaps the loudest of everyone. But they were shouts of joy. He had a blast and now begins each day with an excited, "Is today my birthday?"

No comments:

Post a Comment